Friday 24 June 2011

Moving eye lashes are attached~

The cover girl today is Yu in a silver metallic maid lycra outfit as promised. The costume consist of a metallic silver bodysuit with skirt and 3 accessories. The accessories are a pair of metallic white gloves, a metallic white apron and metallic silver knee high socks. There's enough metallic matter here to turn Yu into a knightress in shiny armour.

The purpose of this update is to show some of the progress of the blinking eye mechanism which I'm building. There is a breakthrough today on the eye lashes. If you have been following my posts, the eye lashes uses nails as joints. This posed a problem because it is quite "thick". This made the eye lashes very bulky.

I wouldn't have knew it would be not suitable before I tried making it, so I can't really say I regretted using this method to form the joints. So I knew the joins needs to be super thin. I went back to my initial idea of joining the eyelashes by interlocking the eye lashes to itself, in other words ORIGAMI. It must be the theory of infinite intelligence working here, when you are focused on some issues, solutions which you never would have known sometimes just appear.


And so I made a loop and strap attachment at the back of the eye lashes. The good thing about this design is that it is only 3 layers of the eyelash plastic sheets thick. Also, there are no exposed nails as no nails are used (damned, spent $7 on the nails, one more thing to put in the storeroom).

Check it out when it moves, I don't know about you, but I'm kinda in love with how its turning out right now. This is a stop motion animated gif of the eyelashes in action.

I have put up more pictures and detailed description on how the flipping eye lashes are made in the forums. And yes, I've attached the eyebrows to the modified Saya mask and taken pictures of it. Check it out in the forum thread. Please give your thoughts.

Here are a couple more of the Yu in silver maid outfit pictures.
 Next up

Post a Facebook comment or post in the traditional comment box below.

2 comments:

  1. wow lovely pictures wyu ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. the three piece idea seems to work quite well as far as I see the photos.
    very neat!

    ReplyDelete