Tuesday 21 June 2011

Need joint suggestion for last piece of the puzzle, inverting eyelashes

Calling out to all craft and tool users out there. I need some help with suggestions for the joints for bendable eye lashes. For those you just dropped by today, I am making a mask project right now trying to create blinking eyes for masks.

There is a discussion thread going on in the forums which might be interesting to you if you have a brilliant suggestion. Even if you do not have any ideas at the moment, check it out to find the engineering behind how kigurumi masks are made~^_^ The forum thread can be found here:
http://www.kigurumicosplay.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1090&start=0

Right now, I am trying to figure out the last bit of the design for inverting eyelashes. I have drawn a diagram below to illustrate the nature of my design. It involves separating the conventional single piece eyelashes into 3 segments which can swivel and thus invert. To better understand what I mean, see the picture below.


To repeat why I need to do this. Conventional eyelashes on kigurumi masks are n-shaped as seen on the top left picture. When the eyelid closes, I need to eyelashes to follow the eyelid down and change from u-shape, to n-shaped as shown in bottom right of the diagram.

This is the design, simple, yet I'm now stuck trying to find suitable items to be used as joints for the pivots you see in the picture. There are altogether 4 points of pivots in one eyelash.

Some items which I found to be closely feasible are items such as: 3mm snap rivets, mini nuts and bolts for handheld gadgets and wires. But each of these some problems and are not perfectly suited. As for the rivets and mini nuts and bolts, 3mm is still too thick. The eyelashes are only as thick as 5 pieces of paper in a stack.

Some readers has given me good ideas and suggestions before. Emal me, post a comment here, or best option write in the forums so I can ask you questions. I hope these good samaritans will appear once more and give me some good suggestions~^_^

Here are the pictures as promised in the last post.

Next up

Post a Facebook comment or post in the traditional comment box below.

No comments:

Post a Comment