Saturday 29 December 2007

Anata Baka~!??! >_<

I think there must be many anime lovers today who started watching anime during the craze which Evangelion brought about more than 10 years ago. I still remember that even though I've seen anime series often then, Evangelion was the first one which I've been really keen and serious about. Its story and theme was truely ahead of its time, and I think many find its religious setting extremely captivating. I still remember that the internet was overflowing with debates and theory discussions on the Evangelion TV series.

During that time, anime isn't as readily available, especially for translated subtitled ones. The titles are extremely limited and releases takes a long time to arrive. I still recall that I bought the Evangelion episodes on VCD, one episode at a time, in carboard wrapped CD jewel cases. Some episodes took soo long to get released and the standards vary very often. And yes Evangelion was the first anime title which I actually spent dollars and cents acquiring. I really treasured them, and I remembered watching each episode on the VCDs many times over.

Amusingly, the first episode disc I got wasn't episode 1 as it wasn't available then. I got disc 9, as I still recall was the fight between EVA-01 and EVA-03 (13th Angel Bardiel). If you've watched that episode, imagine thats the first serious genre anime title you're ever watched and the gore when EVA-01 tore up EVA-03 was... overwhelming, mind boggling even... for a 16 year old kid that I was then. The impact was so great, I had an urge of puking then when I saw(for the first time) gore of those levels in anime(for the first time remember, imagine the impact). Thereafter, the impression on Evangelion was "intense", "serious stuff"... like none other(in those lines). Like I said, Evangelion was way ahead of its time. That episode captivated me and made me an Evangelion fan eversince. Those were my secondary school days, it was almost as if I studied Evangelion for my exams. Hehe... no worries I still did outstandingly in my proper studies~

One of the things that attracted me to Evangelion was the design of the plug suits worn by Rei and Asuka. They were one of the first few "semi-naked" anime girls I've seen... in the mid 90s, anime hasn't got much of "scenery" like these. I did wonder then how I would love to get a pair of their plug suits. But its a far-fetched dream since cosplay isn't that well known those days and costumes like that were unheard of. Not to mentioned kigurumi cosplays.

10 years later today, in a short and rapid chain of events, I've done dozens of kigurumi cosplay. One after another, getting my dreams come true to cosplay as some of my favourite anime characters(and actually looking like them~^_^). Its by kigurumi cosplay that I'm able to cosplay one my oldest favourite characters in one of the most infamous costumes known. Well, those are the words which came to my mind upon finally completing the cosplay. Here I present you, my Soryu Asuka Langley... Anata Baka~!?!? I'm the best EVA pilot in the world~^_^

Post a Facebook comment or post in the traditional comment box below.

No comments:

Post a Comment