Friday 1 May 2009

Adopting new methods to ease work.

There we have C2 posing beside the huge box even she could go into. Been trying out new methods to ease the mask making process and it is just about time to start "silicone". Its a very expensive and excessive step to take for normal mask making or when making a mask once. I only decided to use it since I think I've finalised the design for some of the parts of my masks and there won't be any changes expected. Its so expensive, I'm still thinking do I really need it.

We have been talking about silicone molds for some time now. Finally got casting silicone to make my molds. I learnt a lot from talking to the casting supply store manager. There are so many types of mediums that I can use to make a good mold easily its kinda frustrating that I am now so interested to try more. From Alginate, Latex, Putty silicone to the ones I use (pinkysil quick set silicone). There are even like 20 different types of silicone that I can make molds from... phew... that store is my new toy land hehe~^_^

But jokes aside and reality sets in... the casting stuff are outrageously expensive. It is like 5kg for $300...To coat the mask probably need that or more. The next amount of 10kg costs $572. Almost the cost of one mask itself. I'm using only 500g each time so far. I'm prepared to get more for mask cloning when orders come in. Its a huge investment, but it will save a lot of time and the process will be shortcut-ed. Just trying out the abilities of silicone for now so that I know what to do and what to expect. Watching videos on youtube and reading tutorials doesn't even come close to really using it... lol. Like the bubble problem... its not even really a problem with modern silicone. Also the removing agent problem... they are NOT needed at all... not sure wat silicone they're using. Fibreglass just comes STRAIGHT off them, they don't even stick. Well, thats provided you know what they say about silicone molds to begin with... there are more myths busted, but lets talk about that when the need arises. Thats how advantages this new silicone is.

Click on the images to drop by the T-fa mask making thread to read up what I'm doing with the silicone I bought and how is the mask making progress coming along. Like everytime, I can't tell what to expect not even after the mask is finish... it has to be worn and pictures taken, then I'll be able to go "Ooh... so thats how it looks like" Wrote a long report on this part of the making process. I guess more people who have been been following my making reports are already long familiar with that I'm doing. But I've always added new info from new findings, so if you don't read them, you'll miss out on details on improved techniques or findings hehe^^. Do give your comments on the progress or post some questions in there. Its always fun to talk about mask making ^_^

Post a Facebook comment or post in the traditional comment box below.

No comments:

Post a Comment